I obtained a pair of Angels that were cast on the film-used Ark so I was able to start the project by scaling the rest of the ark to the dimensions of the Angels. I started with constructing the MERCY SEAT. I started by assembly a 3 tier structure by using plywood and 2X4s and then joined the edges with sheet metal bent into curves.
Once the lid base structure was complete, I sculpted a section of lotus leaves for the sides, bottom, and top of the mercy seat. These were molded and cast in flexible urethane resin.
The resin sections of leaves were then applied across the sides and top of the lid. At that stage, I began roughing in the trunk using plywood.
A friend of mine took my blueprints and lathed the feet, and the top ribbing areas, which were detailed with a dremel and molded. For the inset side panels, I started by making a frame using pre-made molding, and sculpted the relief into the interior. This sculpture was then molded in RTV from which I made solid urethane and fiberglass castings.
Here's the roughed out Ark! At that point, I molded the lid to create positive castings and finalized the dimensions of the trunk.
Over the years I've made some improvements to the Ark and FINALLY in 2009 was able to gold plate an entire ark. You can see more by visiting the blog spot HERE
If you're interested in obtaining KIT parts, email email@example.com