Chrome Plating Section
MECHAS ORIGINAL PROJECT
ABSTRACT & GALLERY ARTWORK
NEW AGE FASHION DESIGNS
Fertility Goddess
C & R MODELS
CUSTOM FURNITURE
Friday
Jul212017

STARGATE DHD DIAL LIFESIZED REPLICA

THE STARGATE DIAL

LIFESIZED Reproduction!!

 

HOW IT WAS MADE:

It starts as it usually does with most builds - drifting in a daze through the isles at home depot hunting for new tools and lumber.

Circles are drawn with a measuring stick, pencil and a screw. ..

 


I started playing around with the levels of elevation using scrap wood. 

Once my elevations and diameters were correct (I ended up having to reduce the size of the top rings!), I begin cutting spokes into the wheels.  This reduced the weight tremendously. 

Clamping structures together: 

 My second trip to the laser cutter produced my second version of the buttons. 

Now it was time to start shaping the edges using a custom angle jig and bondo and day and days and days of sanding and smoothing.

 

Once the angels were all shaped in, I decided to use a lofting technique to fill in the tables. 

Lofting the skeletal structures: 

I produced the skin patterns by taping construction paper to the ribs and cutting the shapes.  I then scanned the patterns and transferred the artwork digitally to vectors.  The last step was laser-cutting the skins in 060 styrene.


teh

Here

here

here

Laser cutting the glyphs:


Behind the scenes I have been designing different versions of the pedal buttons and here you can see the third generation of button bases - some in 1/4" wood and some in construction paper.  The paper glyphs are my third generation attempt but still need a tiny adjustment.  When working in a sloped circle, things get tricky.  This 'aint like dustin' crops, boy.

 The dark tiles are laser cut EVA foam I produced as an experiment.  A very SUCCESSFUL experiment.  I'll be developing a design to laser cut the tiles as a single strip I will wrap around the dome.


After a few more hours of shaping, this is the nearly completed DIAL BASE coated in automotive urethane.  There's still a ways to go!

A few hours at the laser cutter with acrylic and styrene, and then another few hours glueing: (p.s. the glyphs aren't glued on yet, and they're in no particular order.  I realize I may need to resize and re-draw some of them.  The symbol maps I found online are not entirely accurate.

 

Placing the glyphs in their final positions:

I innovated last year and learned  it's possible to laser cut and raster EVA foam.  That's that's how I decided to do the globe liner detail trim. Visit the KNIGHTS SHIELD to see more of this technique.


PATTERN COMPLETED!

(3 WEEK BUILD)


MOLD MAKING: